Monday, September 14, 2009

Commodification and knowledge




You know, I really can't say that these ideas, or philosophies, hold true for the entirety, or sections, of underground hip-hop today, because I do not have a deep knowledge of the musical genre. However, I believe I can say that the songs I want to discuss present ideas of knowledge and artistic responsibility that really have a strong resonance in society today.

For the past few years, I have really worn out Audition by P.O.S., and I believe that I have worn out his new album, Never Better, even more (it's only been out since February). Before I tackle "Let It Rattle," off of Never Better, I really want to say a few things about "Half-Cocked Concepts" from Audition.

This song, while politically charged at the opening, really encapsulates what appears to be a manifesto from P.O.S. The chorus screams it loud:

Get up
Get out
Get up
And get something done!

In the song, the last line has been misinterpreted as "and get fucked up." P.O.S. says he doesn't correct people when they make this interpretation because it still fits with the overall feel of the song.

After an intro that denounces Bush and gives props to the individuals who have supported him, P.O.S. gets into the meat of his message. The conclusion of the third stanza, "Just games for days, busy bees makin' our honey/ and skee ball tickets still don't count as real money," conveys the though that while we keep ourselves busy, working, and enjoying our luxury items (that we may not be able to afford), we do not have real funds coming in. Instead, we spend waste time that could be spent for better endeavors, in this case, art.

He proceeds, at least to me, to present the key argument for art I am encountering a lot in my Pound and Eliot class right now. P.O.S. raps,

It's somethin' so ridiculous,
Funny, so fuckin' sick of this,
Consistent lack of vision from children claimin' they're listenin'

Still I'm sittin' [can't decipher this word] and laughin' while they're all missin' this
There's still songs about bitches, from 9/11 witnesses

With these lines, he tackles the mentality of youth that says one thing, especially when it comes to knowledge and wisdom, but acts teh compelte oppisite, not learning anything from the teacher. In a broader context, this line could refer to the fact that most of us do not learn from what happens aroudn us. The key point for this idea occurs with "There's still songs about bitches, from 9/11 witnesses." Art to make money and gain popularity, not for change and social betterment.

Later on, he attacks, as he does with most of his targets, with compacted lines that speak volumes to the lsitener. He says, "A fool among the scholars/ Bumpin' somethin' about clubs, bubs, and hubs." Again, he appears to atatck commerical rap and the commodification of an art form. As for our obsessions with celebrities, he raps about "Jen and Ben" (one line, quick reference, that says it all). During the entire course of these "observations," P.O.S. counters them. To the former lines in this paragraph, he writes,

I got a message in a bottle
Written in gas and oil
Signed with a rag and a match
Here, catch!
Slap to rebel yell
The rebels fell, embedded in brick
Ain't no fuckin' marble memorial
For pissed off kids waitin' for Death Wish 6

The ones who coose to go against tthe grain, rbel, have no "marble memorial." Still, if we don't get up, get out, and get something done, none of us will be remembered.



It's getting late. Soon, hopefully, I will get to "Let it Rattle." Below, you'll find a live video of P.O.S. performing the song. Watch it, read the lyrics, and let me know what your thoughts are. I really like what he says at the beginning of the performance.



Along with these two songs, I really want to discuss Saul Williams' "Peadagogue of Young Gods." It is on The Inevitable Rise and Fall of Niggy Tardust. However, I need some more time to really look over this work. As a teacher, it really impacts me, but I know there is more to it. Right now, I really look at it from the angle of a teacher, especially in relation to some of my students who have never heard of any African American authors, and I am teaching in a area where Ernest Gaines resides. It blows my mind.



No comments: